To use my skills in research, written communication, and customer service to assist a publication, sustainable business, non-profit or education organisation in meeting objectives and representing their brand.
Bachelor of Arts English major (A grade average/3.7 GPA).
Massey University, New Zealand. 2008-2014.
Papers included: English Literature papers plus Health Writing, Creative Writing, Advanced Creative Writing, Life Writing, Travel Writing, Speech Writing, Feature Writing, Editing & Publishing, Investigative Journalism, Professional & E-Business Writing, Business Communication, Philosophy for Children, Environmental Philosophy
Sports Massage Therapy Diploma (Distinction).
London School of Sports Massage, UK. 2001.
Montessori Early Years Education Diploma (Distinction).
London School of Modern Montessori, UK. 1994.
Cambridge GCSE ‘A’ levels: English (A), History (B), French (B).
Goffs Grammar School, Hertfordshire, UK. 1980.
Massey Extramural Scholarship recipient, 2014.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Business Communication, 2014.
Massey Certificate of Excellence in Professional & E-Business Writing, 2014.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Investigative Reporting, 2013.
Massey Top Extramural Student in Speech Writing, 2013.
Massey Pro-chancellor’s Extramural Speech Writing Award, 2013.
Member of Great Britain Olympic athletics squad (4x400m relay), Los Angeles, 1984.
Written communication experience
- Science writing. Scientific research communicated in clear, concise and comprehensible prose
- News and feature writing. Researched articles on conservation, environment, and animal welfare
- Creative writing. Short stories and poetry
- Creative non-fiction. Travel stories, health news briefs, health reports, and speeches
- Academic writing. Expository, analytical and argumentative essays
- Business writing. E-mails, memos, letters, event proposal, product comparison report, and recommendation report
- Revising, editing & proofreading. Revising, editing and proofreading university assignments for relevance, clarity and accuracy. Proofreading son’s university Honours thesis and daughter’s Master’s thesis
- Forum discussion. Online forums where tone is critical to effective communication
- E-mail. External communication with café franchisor, retail centre management, suppliers, and customers in café management role. Internal communication with café staff members
- Work plans. Business plan, study plans, I.T. system test plans, massage treatment plans
- Social media. Maintain Facebook and Twitter accounts for article and news communication
Oral communication experience
- Customer service. Ensure friendly and attentive communication, engaging in genuine conversation. Manage potential conflict by accepting feedback as valuable without accepting responsibility regardless
- Franchise inspection. Listen to inspection feedback and effectively communicate operational issues
- Staff performance. Praise staff members as appropriate, correcting poor performance privately
- Sports massage treatment. Inform client of problem, treatment and rehabilitation with sensitivity and clarity
- Immigration to NZ. Research on immigration requirements, health, MAFF regulations, and Auckland schools and housing
- Franchise business purchase. Research on the franchise process and individual franchises
- News and features for news websites. Research on conservation, environment and animal welfare issues
- Undergraduate study. Research on English literature, Western philosophy, conservation, and mental health. Synthesise large volumes of information into a coherent summary with accurate referencing
Business & Management experience
- Problem solving. Resolve customer queries & complaints, product damage in transit, franchisor issues, and staff performance issues. Look for positive and co-operative solutions for a win-win result
- Planning & organising. Food menu. New products. Weekly specials. Stock rotation. Ordering
- Recruiting & training. Job advertisements. Interviews. Trials. Training
- Rostering. Plan for staff, public, and school holidays, as well as seasonal and local events that affect trade
- Merchandising. Source, price, and display products, with attention to seasonal demands
- Advertising. Promote new products, specials and seasonal products in-store and on Facebook
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word to create documents such as letters, reports and assignments
- Proficient in the use of Excel to create spreadsheets such as retail product price tables, work plans and rosters
- Proficient in the use of search engines for research purposes
Owner, manager and café assistant. Full-time. 2010-present
Theobroma Chocolate Lounge, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
News writer. 2015-present
The News Hub website.
Science writer. 2015-present
Voluntary basis for Science Nutshell website.
Contract Computer Analyst/Programmer. Part-time. 2005-2006
Progressive Enterprises Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand.
Assignment marker. Part-time. 2003
London School of Sports Massage, UK.
Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist. Full-time. 2001-2003
Self-employed, Bedfordshire, UK.
Contract Computer Analyst/Programmer. Part-time. 1998-1999
Computer Corporation of America, Slough, Berkshire, UK.
Montessori Early Years Education Assistant. Part-time. 1993-1994
Little Cheverells Montessori School, Markyate, Hertfordshire, UK.
Volunteer young athletes coach. 2001-2003
Bedford Athletics Club, Bedfordshire, UK.
Volunteer parent fundraiser and classroom helper. 1995-1999
Firs Lower School Parent Teachers Association, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, UK.
Stay-at-home mother. 1990-2010
Contract Computer Analyst/Programmer. Full-time
Thames Television, 1988-1990. Reuters, 1987. Shell Oil, 1986-1987. London, UK.
Computer Analyst/Programmer. Full-time
Thomson Holidays. 1986-1987. United Dominions Trust, 1985-1986. Tesco Stores PLC, 1980-1985.
References and academic transcript available
© All posts are protected by copyright with all rights reserved. You are very welcome to link to an article, but if you would like to re-publish my work, commercially or non-commercially, please contact me. Thank you.
- Pollution from pipes beached in Norfolk puts wildlife at risk - 14th August 2017
- Little terns brave tides, dogs and falcons in Norfolk - 27th July 2017
- Garden bird café is the place for love and war - 14th May 2017
- Starling - 25th April 2017
- Blackbird - 21st April 2017