A few years ago, I discovered a new pleasure – creative writing. I’ve found it rewarding on a personal level even if my work is never published. I did make the long-list for the 2015 Fish Publishing Short Memoir Prize with Searching for Ruru, and the short-list for the 2016 Fish Publishing Short Memoir Prize with Happy as a Pig. Pretty exciting!
Thank you to my creative writing tutors Dr Thom Conroy and Mary McCallum for your teaching, feedback and enthusiasm that led me into the wonderful world of short stories and memoirs, to Dr Jack Ross for an unexpected and eye-opening journey in travel writing, and to Dr Doreen D’Cruz for her literature of women paper that helped my own writing.
My favourite short story authors are Andre Dubus and Amy Bloom for their precise language, and for the way they draw me into their character’s worlds, predicaments, and minds. I’ll keep writing and revising, holding them up as my light to work by.
I’ve included some vignettes and poetic attempts for a quick read here.
I’ve also written short stories – Broken Wing and Top Dog, and memoirs – Searching for Ruru, Happy as a Pig, and Dressed Down.
Image credit: Tracy’s Bookshelf by David Brighten
© All posts are protected by copyright with all rights reserved. You are very welcome to link to an article, but if you would like to re-publish my work, commercially or non-commercially, please contact me. Thank you.
- Plastic waste: be part of the solution not the problem - 20th June 2018
- Books to open your mind and improve your life - 13th April 2018
- Why there should be no black and white in veganism - 18th October 2017
- Education, communication and cooperation: cornerstone for change - 14th September 2017
- Pollution from pipes beached in Norfolk puts wildlife at risk - 14th August 2017